Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows



There's a lot to like in this new installment of the Sherlock Holmes franchise: Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law's bantering bromance is good cinematic fun, director Guy Richie's crunch-and-thud action shots are superbly choreographed and Sherlock Holmes' Victorian London is fascinationg to view. So why didn't I enjoy it?

This stylish film is probably just too stylish to love. I watched the story and action at such arms length that I never fully vested in it. As a plus, the charm of Holmes and Watson's witty sniping breaks through all the stylish clutter. But Downey Jr. has similar chemistry with co-stars in all of his recent films, so I can't recommend the film based off of that alone. 



Simply put: Without Downey Jr., I presume this movie would be a bombastic bore.


Award potential: Technical awards only.


The ten buck review: Not worth ten bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment