Total Pageviews

Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Grand Budapest Hotel


Ralph Fiennes Oscar nomination
The fantastic Mr. Anderson creates a new Old World

Wes Anderson's new film, The Grand Budapest Hotel, is a visually stunning comic film set in an Old World hotel in Zubrowka, a fictional '30s European nation. It’s full of Wes Anderson’s trademark whimsy and it’s another showcase of how evolved Anderson is at crafting delightful cinematic visuals.

The plot, like many Anderson films, isn’t worth commenting on. Unfortunately, neither are the characters. I respected this new Wes Anderson film, and many are calling it his masterpiece, but I wish I had enjoyed it more. I’d love to watch the sled scene again or actually visit any of the oversized buildings shown onscreen, but I just can’t fully recommend the complete two hours.

Simply put: Wes Anderson’s visuals and universe are delightful to watch, but without characters to care about, I was ready to check out early.

Award potential: Ralph Fiennes pulls off proper Anderson comedy and I hope he joins the team again, but there’s not enough here for award consideration.

The ten buck review: Barely worth ten bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment