Total Pageviews

Monday, February 15, 2016

Anomalisa


I didn’t connect.

Charlie Kaufman (Being John Malkovich, Adaptation) and the team behind Anomalisa have expertly crafted a puppet movie into a disarmingly emotional film with a lot to say about the human struggle to connect.

I was transported into this world and story of a lonely soul who desperately needed to connect. It’s a great concept to explore, but one thing didn’t connect with me: I couldn’t sympathize with the main character who brought so much harm to so many people from his family to relationships to strangers.

I was hoping this film would have some joyful revelation, but that’s not the story being told. I just don't see the point.

Simply put: A well-produced downer.

Award potential: Nominated for Best Animated Film, but too dark (and sex-filled) to steal the award from the emotional favorite, Pixar's Inside Out.

The ten buck review: Impressive. But without a character to care about it's not worth 90 minutes and ten bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment