Total Pageviews

Friday, December 30, 2016

Seven movie wishes for 2017




On the eve of 2017, I’d like to share seven movie wishes for the coming year. Perhaps some Hollywood magic will make every one of them come true.

I wish for:

1. Wonder Woman to be wonderful.

If DC is ever going to have its first decent film, I’d bet on 2017 and Gal Gadot. (Mark your calendar for June 2)


2. No more production-company vanity logos that play before films. (Yeh, I wish.)

Don’t get me wrong, I love a single, studio intro (Universal, MGM, Paramount), and it was cute when PIXAR’s lamp intro played before Disney’s, but every film today seems to play a parade of hack mini-shorts featuring poorly designed logos. It’s a mood killer and those logos need to be in the end credits.


3. Sofia Coppola to make our day.

Hopefully, Coppola’s remake of Clint Eastwood’s 1971 film, The Beguiled, will revive the Western and not get, you know, lost in translation. (June 23)


4. The Academy Awards to move past #OscarsSoWhite.

This year’s quality collection of films all but guarantee nominees with diversity, so my wish is that the show gets back to business and the biggest controversy this year is whether “City of Stars” from La La Land is better than Lin-Manuel Miranda’s “How Far I’ll Go,” from Moana. (Oscar Night, February 26)


5. More original musicals.
Sing Street and La La Land were two of the best films of 2016; perhaps they started a trend of non-stage musicals on film. For starters, I wish for All Eyez On Me, the Tupac biopic, 2 deliver. (June 16)


6. Low ticket sales for these clearly uninspired remakes and sequels:

Baywatch, The Mummy, Alien, Transformers, Spider-Man, Fifty Shades, John Wick, Annabelle, XXX, Cars, Smurfs and Kong, for starters.


7. A Hugh-mongous year for Hugh Jackman.

Jackman has rocked many iconic scenes on film, but he’s never had a great movie. Will Logan be the Wolverine film we always wanted? (March 3). Or will Hugh find his best role as P.T. Barnum in The Greatest Showman (December 25)? I’m wishing for both.

Of course I'd also like to see new films from directors Damien Chapelle, Barry Jenkins, Kenneth Lonergan, James Cameron, Richard Curtis or Alexjandro Inarritu — but I kinda know that none of those are happening, so I sure hope these seven movie wishes come true.

Happy 2017, everyone!









No comments:

Post a Comment