Thursday, December 22, 2011

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows



There's a lot to like in this new installment of the Sherlock Holmes franchise: Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law's bantering bromance is good cinematic fun, director Guy Richie's crunch-and-thud action shots are superbly choreographed and Sherlock Holmes' Victorian London is fascinationg to view. So why didn't I enjoy it?

This stylish film is probably just too stylish to love. I watched the story and action at such arms length that I never fully vested in it. As a plus, the charm of Holmes and Watson's witty sniping breaks through all the stylish clutter. But Downey Jr. has similar chemistry with co-stars in all of his recent films, so I can't recommend the film based off of that alone. 



Simply put: Without Downey Jr., I presume this movie would be a bombastic bore.


Award potential: Technical awards only.


The ten buck review: Not worth ten bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Films and Oscar Contenders to put on your calendar, 2026

Here comes the fall quality movie season! Only twelve more Zendaya and Anne Hathaway films and two more Robert Pattison ones before we close...