Saturday, April 7, 2012

Titanic 3D

Titanic
Fifteen years later, I still have a heart on for Titanic. And yes, the new 3-D treatment is worth another trip. 

The White Star Line's R.M.S Titanic was “the largest moving work of man in all history,'' a character boasts — and this film is the motion picture equivalent. James Cameron’s 194-minute, $200 million, 2-studio film was the most expensive film in Hollywood history at the time of its release, and it became the most successful.

Titanic required a 17-million gallon water tank and a large-scale set constructed with meticulous attention to historical detail from the chandeliers in the staterooms to the china on the table.The rest was digital magic.

It was a spectacular demonstration of what modern technology and historical detail can contribute to dramatic storytelling. The result is still as true today as when this ship arrived in 1997. I can’t imagine any special-effects movie from its time that would hold up quite as well to audiences familiar with Avatar or Hugo. And the new 3-D treatment heightens the whole spectacle  – in this case, that’s a compliment. Cameron bypassed the 3-D tricks (there are some water bubbles that come your way) and focused the technology on pulling you into the many rooms of the mighty ship.

I understand those who find the romantic story too traditional or too melodramatic. There’s a point where Billy Zane is chasing our love-torn characters with a gun in the air that’s a bit too conventional for such a well-crafted film. 

But I’m not looking for an alt romance in a movie called Titanic.

When lovely Kate Winslet’s Rose utters “This is where we first met” to Leonardo DiCaprio’s doomed Jack, and the ship begins to crack, I felt the same chill of excitement as when Titanic and I met years ago. What a treat to see this film set sail again on the big screen once again.

Simply put:  Deliciously overwrought, flawlessly crafted and still as dynamic in 2012

Award potential:
Titanic gathered a record fourteen Academy Award nominations and eleven wins, including Best Picture.

The ten buck review: Worth another ten bucks.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Fall Films and Oscar Contenders to put on your calendar, 2026

Here comes the fall quality movie season! Only twelve more Zendaya and Anne Hathaway films and two more Robert Pattison ones before we close...