Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Birdman


Is this a rare bird, or just an odd one?

Watching Birdman in the theater made me want to quote Michael Keaton’s Bruce Wayne (Batman, 1989) when he walks into his own formal dining room: “I’ve don’t think I’ve ever been here before.”

This non-stop, completely original ride begins as a wildy manic behind-the-scenes close up into a has-been actor’s (Keaton) life right before his play is opens at the St. James theater on Broadway.

The camera swoops in and out of each scene in what appears to be one continuous shot courtesy of Gravity cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki, and it’s unlike anything you’ve ever seen on film. Several times I thought I knew where the story was going and that crazy camera gave me a surprising left turn every time.

It’s only flaw? I don’t know how this story should have ended and I don’t think the creators did either. One thing I do know, I didn’t want it to end.

Simply put: Keaton soars in a daredevil film.

Award potential: Hollywood loves to nominate stories about itself, especially when it’s this good. Oscar nominations for Picture, Director (Alejandro G. Inarritu), Original Screenplay, Actor, Supporting Actor (Edward Norton), Cinematography, Editing, Costume, Original Score and Production Design are all good bets.

The ten buck review: Worth ten bucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment